Golden Backpack Awards: voting categories 2013

Here’s the list of categories for the Golden Backpack Awards 2013.

State Awards

Best Online Only Booking Website

Industry awards

Innovation Award

Outstanding Achievement Award

14 thoughts on “Golden Backpack Awards: voting categories 2013

• July 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Gutted to see the state by state best backpacker night is gone but excited about the prospect of the best backpacker night Australia.

• July 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Go Aussie Wanderer Tours in WA!

• July 23, 2013 at 3:46 am

I appreciate this has been done to death – but I think the GB’s would gain a lot more credibility if there were perhaps 2 divisions certainly within the hostel category (perhaps the tour/activity too) – Large and Small. Given the awards are based on the number of votes, it really does lend itself to bigger properties who by sheer weight of numbers will get more votes. 10% of a 500 bed hostel is more than 20% of a 50 bed… seems a little… well, unfair to me.

I appreciate it’s too late for these awards but I know the debate will happen again following the awards, so just trying to get in early 😛

• July 23, 2013 at 9:29 am

Gordo, +1 from me re your post (And what the hell were you doing up, and posting up @ 3.46am?? You certainly weren’t watching the final day of the second Ashes Test. Good God no. Say it ain’t so… you were up, cup o’ tea in hand, waiting for news of the next Royal. Please don’t tell us you’re off to buy a commemorative tea-towel).

• July 24, 2013 at 4:04 am

Actually Tony I was watching the Ashes… but being in London makes the hours much easier.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to purchase some commemorative junk!

• July 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Go Wildlife Tours in SA

• July 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm

@Gordo, you have a good point. And I’m surprised after years of general bitching this hasn’t happened in the transport / tour arena. Its purely a numbers game.

On the other hand if quality criteria were added the whole event would likely require a new level of management and costs beyond the reach of BTN. You’d need to engage volunteer judges and the entrants – well, might not be interested in the level of effort required to enter. And I’m sure the bitching would continue.

But it makes for a fun night out.

• July 25, 2013 at 3:02 am

Greg – of course, they’re never going to please everyone. The amount of bitching at the Hoscars this year was intense – but that’s for a slightly different reason as nobody is quite sure how HW actually decides on the winners, with some hostels with higher ratings coming in below those with lower.

In terms of the GBs though, I think guests/customers would appreciate the differentiation as many have a preference for larger or smaller operators, so it would give a more accurate view of who’s really doing their job right for potential guests as well as placating a few operators.

Been a while since I had anything to do with the GBs but I’m sure last time it was all done online – surely some form of rating system could be introduced and then just let the computers do the rest of the work.

I’m sure someone will eventually figure out the ideal award system someday.

• August 17, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Go Territory Expeditions. You are the most awesome tour Compny in the NT

• September 26, 2013 at 7:50 am

Go Haka Lodge! (Christchurch and Queenstown)

• September 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hey Ming (post on July 22nd) maybe you should check the comments on the youtube video you posted the link for!

• September 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

whilst not knocking the rock tour what so ever – i gotta say that comment on youtube just made me piss my pants. youtube comments rock – pun intended. I’ve lost days reading them.