Melbourne crowned ‘most liveable city’

Melbourne has finally claimed the top spot in The Economist’s Most Livable City awards, beating Vancouver, which has been at the top since 2002.

Other Australian cities scored highly too, Sydney came in 6th and Perth and Adelaide shared 8th position, Brisbane came in 21st. This in comparison to London’s rather lowly 53rd and New York’s 56th positions.

The 140 cities are scored in five key areas; stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure. Melbourne scored 97.5 per cent to top the list, only just beating Vienna’s 97.4 per cent and Vancouver’s 97.3 per cent.

Australia has so many top ranking cities because of its low population density and relatively low crime rates. Although the cost of living is high due to the strong Australian dollar, the cities still offer a range of factors to make them highly attractive. However, the most livable city is also one of the most expensive cities too, coming in 7th just behind Sydney’s 6th in another Economist report on the cost of living.

Many people have expressed that the survey doesn’t give points for weather, in which Sydney would surely score higher than Melbourne. Nonetheless, Melbourne has been higher than Sydney in this list for the last decade, and now has finally topped it.

Australia itself is the ultimate winner, with four cities in the top 10 compared to Canada’s three and Europe’s two.

0 thoughts on “Melbourne crowned ‘most liveable city’

• August 31, 2011 at 1:44 pm

That’s nice, but who’d want to live there?

• August 31, 2011 at 2:45 pm

He does have a point, Anon………and I did live there for 16 years and love some aspects of Melbourne, ok?

I mean, the kul-tcha, the European architecture, the anal gridding of city streets, the footie, the trilling of the thrushes and the profusion of green parks and snooty cafes…I mean, unique in Oz and the big, wide world, no doubt.

All it needs is a decent climate, really, and I`d consider putting it in my top 20…….Global Warming, anyone….?

• August 31, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Yes, I lived there too. It kind of bases this “ohhh amazing cafe culture” around one or two streets. You know, the ones they always have in the tele ads and magazines. Well whoopee. You’ll love every piece of Victoria ads are shot mainly in the country, and its cold and wet. Good bus service to and from the airport though. Really like that service, especially on the way out.

• September 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

Well done fantastic work

• September 1, 2011 at 10:06 am

I moved to Melbourne 3 years ago and absolutely love the inner city lifestyle here. You learn to dress around the cold weather and with all the cosy bars and restaurants with fire places roaring, who cares if it is cold outside. Having come from the consistent heat in Nth Qld previously, the various seasons and activities keeps life interesting

• September 1, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Boys, boys, boys… me being a Kiwi and all, this is going to be really, really hard for me to say, but… gotta agree with Deb. (Though it’s not cold weather: it’s ‘bracing’, or ‘invigorating’).

And Greg, to answer your question, about 4 million people, give or take a few dozen thousand (and growing by something around 60K p.a.).

• September 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Tony M, two points:

I mimicked Deb 24 years ago but went the other way and know what it`s like to have to rationalize about the ‘bracing,invigorating’ weather (my old man was a South Gipplsand dairy farmer: apparently, he KNOWS cold misery….)

Greg Cole is from over the ditch originally,as well, so, I can only ask….HOW GOOD WAS LAST SATURDAY NIGHT, EH?!?!?!

• September 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Hush Scotty, I’m still in denial. Maybe I’ll have to move to Melbourne to avoid all this darned Rugby talk.

• September 6, 2011 at 10:06 am

Cities in Oz, especially Melbourne and Sydney, big fish small pond. If you have experienced European winters Melbourne winter is t-shirt weather :)

• September 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Well, I did visit Denmark in January and spent 18 months in Pommie-land, Andrew, but, in all honesty, I’ve never felt colder than watching the footy out at Arctic Park in my formative years. Even the Bosnian feller at the Lygon Char Grill agreed: nowhere feels as cold as when the South wind cuts through your clothing in a Melbourne winter….

• September 7, 2011 at 10:41 am

As someone that has lived all over this wonderful country and in NZ, after moving to Melbourne 5 years ago, I can happily say I would never live anywhere else! It’s not just about the culture and arts, the live music, the laneways, the sport, the events, the food, the shopping, the nature, the festivals etc etc. Its also about the amazing, non-pretentious, laid back, open minded and friendly people that live here, that make it so great! Melbourne ROCKS!

PS. Its been a balmy winter with temperatures up to 23 degrees! But seriously, when we live in this amazing state, who cares!

• September 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I have to agree with Andrew – I spent last Xmas holidays in Holland we were snowed in and that was bloody cold, Melbourne is only a bit chilly in comparison.

Anna, I’m with you, Melbourne is the best city.