Air New Zealand’s smashing grab

I was checking out the Tnooz top travel websites in New Zealand list this morning and happened to notice a new entrant in the airline charts. Grabaplane.co.nz has come from nowhere to rank as the third most visited airline site for the week ending March 12 with 3.64 per cent of total visits.

For those who don’t know (and until this morning, I didn’t), Grabaplane is an Air New Zealand competition in which entrants fill an aircraft with 40 registered friends by March 25 to enter a draw to win one – complete with crew – for the day.

The winner receives a return journey on April 24 (Easter Sunday) on a special service between two domestic airports of their choice with 40 friends.

Once they have registered their details, entrants can send an invitation to their friends to join the trip via e-mail, Facebook or Twitter. If they sign up, Air New Zealand has their details too.

The trip judged the most original wins.

As I write, with 11 days to go before the competition closes, 3908 planes have been created, with 19,281 would-be passengers and 29 full planes.

I’d say that makes Air New Zealand the winner already.

7 thoughts on “Air New Zealand’s smashing grab

• March 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Very very cool! I like how shareable it is… coz you are gonna want to tell your 40 mates about it. Awesome.

• March 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Brilliant initiative… Just another example of Air NZ leading the way when it comes to ‘out there’ marketing techniques.

After grabaseat, their onboard safety videos, the “all black’ A320, and Rico (their furry little mascot)… they’ve got to have one of the most innovative marketing teams out there.

• March 16, 2011 at 11:36 am

New Zealand tourism & Operators are so far ahead of Australia in marketing that it is becoming embarrassing. Good thing their our neighbors…

• March 17, 2011 at 8:35 am

@Tui Use ‘their’ to indicate possession. It is a possessive adjective and indicates that a particular noun belongs to them. Remember that ‘they’re’ is a contraction of the words they and are.

• March 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Peter J is undergoing a Thumbrella transition,morphing into a fearsome,grammatically correct heckler (whilst maintaining his Cole-proof shield of anonymity: who are you,dammit!?)

Anyhow……Come off the grass, Pete, if you spent all day correcting bad usage of the English language,you`d never get past that in our newspapers,much less on-line comments. To/too,excees/access,here/hear…….the list of little slip-ups is endless!

It`s ok,though, Tui et al, I know what youse all mean and I`m happy to admit,I`m often guilty, two 😉

• March 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I`m not really anonymous,honestly!New computer,thanks to Yasi. Back to being me again.

• March 18, 2011 at 8:44 am

I have no intention of becoming a grammar heckler; I just took offensive to Tui’s previous comment on an article saying just “boring”.
    I think Martin Lame does a sterling job with thumbrella and although not all articles are as interesting as the last and some comments are very boring (namely Greg Coles) to comment simply “boring” is the act of a douchebag